High-profile child murderer accused of attacking another prison inmate

Aza Vidinhar arrives during his sentencing at the Davis Justice Complex in Farmington on May 13, 2015. Vidinhar, now 26 and serving a life sentence for killing his two young brothers is once again accused of assaulting another prisoner.

Aza Vidinhar arrives during his sentencing at the Davis Justice Complex in Farmington on May 13, 2015. Vidinhar, now 26 and serving a life sentence for killing his two young brothers is once again accused of assaulting another prisoner. (Chris Detrick)


36
Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

KEY TAKEAWAYS
  • Aza Ray Vidinhar, 26, has been charged with assaulting another inmate in Utah State Prison.
  • Vidinhar was convicted of killing two young brothers, ages 4 and 10, in Davis County when he was 15 years old.
  • Vidinhar was previously accused of trying to kill another inmate.

UTAH STATE PRISON — A man who stabbed his two younger brothers to death when he was 15, and later allegedly tried to kill another inmate at the Utah State Prison, is now accused of attacking yet another inmate.

Aza Ray Vidinhar, 26, was charged Tuesday in 3rd District Court with assault by a prisoner, a third-degree felony.

Vidinhar punched another inmate in the face last July, according to charging documents. For Vidinhar, it's the latest in a series of violent crime investigations against him that began when he was a teenager.

On May 22, 2013, Vidinhar killed his two younger brothers in their West Point home — stabbing one of them 88 times and the other 28 times. The high-profile murders of Alex and Benjie Vidinhar, ages 10 and 4, were committed when Vidinhar was only 15. He was sentenced to 15 years to life in the Utah State Prison.

Then in 2021, he was accused of going into another inmate's cell and telling the man "he had already killed two young people with his hands and now wants to fulfill his dream of killing someone old with his hands," according to charging documents.

Vidinhar entered the 66-year-old inmate's cell with a cord in his hand, shut the cell door behind him and told the man "he was going to kill an old man and to make it easy on him," the charges state.

"Stop fighting it and just let me kill you," Vidinhar told the man after wrapping the cord around his neck, according to the charges.

A charge of attempted murder was later dismissed and Vidinhar was convicted of aggravated kidnapping. He was sentenced to a minimum of 20 years and up to life in prison. The sentence was ordered to run consecutive to his other sentences.

He was also convicted of assaulting inmates in 2015 and again in 2021.

The Key Takeaways for this article were generated with the assistance of large language models and reviewed by our editorial team. The article, itself, is solely human-written.

Related stories

Most recent Police & Courts stories

Related topics

Police & CourtsUtahSalt Lake CountyDavis County
Pat Reavy interned with KSL NewsRadio in 1989 and has been a full-time journalist for either KSL NewsRadio, Deseret News or KSL.com since 1991. For the past 25 years, he has worked primarily the cops and courts beat.

STAY IN THE KNOW

Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Newsletter Signup