6A boys soccer: American Fork claims first title in 40 years with win over Farmington

17 photos
Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

SANDY — Lewis Knecht thought he scored.

The American Fork junior forward blasted a rebound high into the net and turned to the corner to celebrate. As some of the Cavemen began to converge on Knecht to salute being up 2-0 in the 6A state championship game, Farmington was quickly going up the field.

The goal was ruled offside, and the Phoenix hoped to catch American Fork in a daze, swiftly trying for a counter.

The Cavemen defenders didn't bite, cutting out a through ball that saved a potential goal.

That was the story of the 5A title game. And that's why American Fork won its first boys soccer state title since 1984.

The Cavemen beat Farmington 1-0 Thursday at America First Field to claim the 6A boys soccer championship to end a 40-year drought.

American Fork junior Demitri Larsen provided the game's only goal, and keepers Maddux Peay and Sebastian Barreda combined to hold Farmington scoreless.

It was only the second time the No. 1 Phoenix were shut out. It was Farmington's first loss in regulation all season.

Larsen's first-half goal was the decider. An American Fork corner was headed down in the penalty box and Larsen calmly pushed it past the keeper for the goal.

That's something Farmington wasn't able to do.

In the second half, the game was stopped as two Farmington players laid face down in the penalty area. The Phoenix had sent in two crosses that resulted in collisions. That image represented how the second half went.

It was a physical game featuring a handful of yellow cards and players unafraid of contact to make plays.

Maybe no one represented that more than the pair of American Fork goalies.

Peay and Barreda often stormed off their lines to stop through balls and Farmington runs. One of those plays resulted in Peay having to leave the game early.

A Phoenix counter had Farmington behind the defense — they just needed to get to the ball first. Peay ran off his line and met the attacking player at the top of the penalty box. Peay got the ball first, clearing away from danger, but was forced to leave the game.

Barreda, who started the game before Peay took over in the second half, replaced him and kept that same spirit, sprinting off the line at any sign of danger.

With that effort, it didn't matter that Knecht's goal was waved off.

Knecth's second-half celebration may have been cut short due to the flag being raised.

But the one where he raised the state championship trophy — American Fork's first in 40 years — is only just beginning.


Most recent High School stories

Related topics

SportsHigh School
KSL.com Utah Jazz reporter


From first downs to buzzer beaters, get KSL.com’s top sports stories delivered to your inbox weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast